Complete a Professional Medical Externship to Gain Job Experience. Learn with CTA in Pittsburgh and Lower Burrell
Professional medical externship is the final step in the Medical Assistant, Medical Billing and Coding, Phlebotomy Technician and Expanded Function Dental Assistant training programs at Career Training Academy. This is a continuation of our students hands-on training and the next step allowing students to combine academic theory with career-related practical skills in a supervised setting. Simply stated, on externship, students will apply their academic and clinical training into practical application on the job.
Why Are Medical Externships So Important?
• Experience: The medical externship experience is extremely valuable in preparing students to hone their skills and supplement their educational experience.
• Company Expectations: Most companies expect graduates to have some level of experience, even with entry-level positions. An externship provides the all-important “experience” all students’ need. The more practical experience you have, the more credible your background and experience will be when you are in front of hiring managers for an interview.
• Resume Builder: At Career Training Academy, your professional externship is directly related to your field of study, this provides a great foundation in your field of study and often propels you from others without an externship experience.
• Exposure to A Full-Time Job: As a student, you may know what type of work you want to do when you graduate, but you may not know what the day-to-day looks like. An externship provides a great insight into what the work is like and the daily expectation of an employer. Externships provide real-life exposure to a practice, field or specialty and students quickly learn if it’s the right fit for them. Often employers and students alike view an externship as an ongoing job interview, with the result being a full-time job offer!
• Gain Confidence: You may not have the experience yet, or even the confidence to do the job you think you want, however, most externships train students on-the-job and provide a fantastic learning experience for them to build their confidence. This confidence shows, especially when you are interviewing for you’re a job in your new career.
• Build Your Network: Building your professional network is just as important as building your experience. Professional externships lead students to connect with professionals within their desired field. It’s important to build your professional network. These connections can be very important for you when looking for a job.
• Reference Letter: As you build your network with the people you are working alongside in your internship, you may be able to ask them to be a professional reference. This is critical because companies ask for references in the hiring process.
A Valuable Learning Experience
At Career Training Academy, we view the professional externship a critical part of the student’s educational experience. Our Externship Coordinators are dedicated employees who begin to work with students individually, three months prior to their externship. Because externships are considered a learning experience and must be successfully completed as a graduation requirement, students may not be paid.